Monday, July 25, 2011

I don't cry. I eat...at Pastizzi & Pasta Cafe, Newtown

PASTIZZI & PASTA CAFE in NEWTOWN
People say that Sydney is small and I agree. But on nights when I'm brought to an eatery in a section of Sydney I never really venture to I realise something. Whilst Sydney may be small but it's bursting with so many eateries that I don't think I'll ever finish trying all of them if I never leave this place and eat at a new joint every single day. 
The Newtown area of Sydney is famous for the huge variety of eateries lining King Street but if you move a bit further up to St Peters towards the airport to the quieter section of King Street in the area of St Peters you'd find a couple of small establishments perfect for a casual night out such as Pastizzi (and more parking I reckon!)

pastizzis!!!
Pastizzi is one of those places I must have driven past on King Street many a times and not even notice. To be honest I've never really walked this section of King Street! We caught a train to St Peters station and walked down towards Newtown and passed up a couple of cute stores (including a cookies shop decked out with pastel-coloured interiors which I plan to visit, conquer and blog!
According to my friend who brought me here this place is known for what it's called- the pastizzis! Lots of different fillings: meat and curry, vegetarian and even sweet ones! I would have loved to try every single pastizzi but that would have been overdoing it considering we only had 6 of us and each of us were getting a pasta main each!
the friendly staff who happily posed for the blog :)
open pastizzi!!!!
The pastas were excellent! I don't usually order boscaiola as the pasta sauce mainly cos almost every experience I've had with that sauce the sauce always turns out bland but for some reason (called the non-stop rain, wind and chill of the Sydney winter!) I wanted something creamy and cheesy and decided to live dangerously. And to my surprise it was flavoursome, just the right amount of cheesy and the chef was tres generous with the mushrooms and bacon *happy face*
Don't worry! I managed to snap some shots of everyone's orders before they bulldozed their meals (I usually feel a little bit bad at group food outings as I'm often the annoying one who screeches "DON'T EAT IT YET! I NEED TO TAKE A PHOTO!"...To all my food bloggers, gimme a 'Hellz yeah" if you know what I mean...)
hmmm can't remember what this one was?
pesto
cannelloni
4 cheese gnocchi
Ok, ONE THING I have to say about the gnocchi - O.M.G. My friend let me taste some of her gnocchi and I had food envy...You know, that moment where you think "DAMMIT! I should have ordered that one instead."
Of course I wasn't going to leave this place without trying one of their desserts and coffees. Tiramisus, sweet pastizzis, shortbreads- what to do!? I saw the luscious tiramisu in the fridge...the taste buds were willing but the digestive system was not. I opted for the shortbread which was just right for all that creamy pasta goodness. I also ordered their affagato as I've also been having a bit of an affagato fetish lately: coffee and ice cream together- whoever thought of that is genius.
And for such a cool casual eatery I have to say the decor is pretty swish. LOVE the oversized gold frame mirror and chandelier.
Hope you've been keeping your tummies warm with some good wintery foods like pastas and pastizzis! 

love,
idontcryieat


Pastizzi & Pasta Cafe (not the original Pastizzi) on Urbanspoon

4 comments:

  1. those pastizzis look damn fine! haha after many 'training' sessions, my family & friends know to let me take photos before they dig in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I do that all the time... now everyone pauses to let me take pics of food before they dig in :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. aw man now i really want gnocchi!

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha! love how u said u dont remember the dish :P

    ReplyDelete