Sunday, July 10, 2011

I don't cry. I decorate...a cream and fruit cake!

Things have been so busy lately with my day job that I find it a job in itself to just find some down time. And by down time I mean having nothing planned, lazing around the house and watching my favourite DVDs. But when it comes to decorating a cake for a friend's 30th birthday I'm happy to put chillaxing in the back seat because I do find cake things very relaxing (even though it gives my arms a great workout!) ^_^


So when my friend asked me to make her 30th birthday cake for her I was not only flattered but really grateful that she trusted me with it...especially when I've never done a cream and fruit spongy cake! I've been pretty slack with my fruit intake lately. Might not be a bad idea to make myself eat some fruit salad in the process!

whip it, baby, whip it!

layering up 
Despite it sounding so simple, I found putting together cream and fruit is not as simple as putting together ganache and fondant on cake. I know...sounds strange right? But because there are so many elements like whipping the cream, putting the fruit in the cake and the fact that sponge is not as sturdy as a thick mud cake I felt the nerves the week of having to make the cake...which might explain why I had a few too many the night before having to put it together! *hicc*


i bought a premade fruit salad and added fresh strawberries
It's healthy...cos it has fruit :)
But no worries, folks. Birthday Girl was very happy and at the party I saw people cleaning up their plates ^_^ The funniest part was when I had to carry the 2 tier cake through the crowded bar and people were moving rather slowly which made my biceps burn a little...time to get back to pump class methinks!!!



Hope you all have a good week!

love,
idontcryieat

P.S. I have a post coming up soon on a class I did at my idol cake decorator's whose cakes I've been stalking online for a long long time. I've very excited to share it with you :)

2 comments:

  1. Yummo!!! That cake looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. fruit cake!! never made a 2 tiered cake before. kudos!

    ReplyDelete