Monday, July 18, 2011

I don't cry. I bake...Apple Streusel

APPLE STREUSEL 
RECIPE FROM THE HUMMINGBIRD BAKERY
Winter: Some days I long for long hot summer days. And some days I just love an excuse to bake something warm and perfect for a cold winter's day. Sydney winters are never awful though. I guess if you were in London a gloomy day like today would be a London summer day. Not that I would know because I've never been to London *sad face*. 
A friend of mine who moved to London recently has been reporting back to me about the bakeries and the amazing sweet baked goods that London has to offer. All I can do is hear about it and salivate! But being the sweet and wonderful friend she is, since I can't get to London she brought a little piece of London to me! And it's not even my birthday! Presents for no reason at all are the best kind, wouldn't you agree? :)

My friend did give it to me on one condition though- that I make something from it and post it on the blog. But it was the hardest decision ever! Pies, cookies, cupcakes, whoopie pies, Guinness Chocolate Cake- WHICH ONE????


I settled for the Apple Streusel which was perfect for a wintery afternoon. I've never made something like this before- I've only ever had crumbles and streusels at restaurants and cafes and never knew how they were made. But now that I've tried it, not so hard after all! 
Taste-wise it wasn't very sweet which was surprising as I thought all streusels and crumbles I've had are usually sweet. But it's the perfect combination if you team it up with ice cream after heating it up!
As to what I should make next in the book...hmmm I got my eye on the chocolate and peanut butter whoopie pies. So as usual stay tuned, peeps, because there is always something baking in the oven ;)

love 
idontcryieat

P.S. In case you were wondering...the tea towel is one of mine which I designed and printed a few years ago :)
P.P.S Shout out to Beck and Berty for helping me with styling and photos! (and providing Masterchef-like feedback haha)
P.P.S If you would like the recipe send me an email idontcryieat[at]gmail[dot]com.

2 comments:

  1. I got that book for my birthday! It looks great! So many cute recipes in it :) BTW love your teatowel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, NQN! how great is that book! have you seen the Guinness Chocolate Cake? looks hectic!

    ReplyDelete